Re: Relative Date Queries

From: Chad Walstrom
Subject: Re: Relative Date Queries
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 18:10:58 -0600

"Edward E. Jaffe" <address@hidden>  wrote:
> Is there any way to establish a date query relative to the current
> date?  I understand I can query with an expression that includes an
> explicit date, but such queries make little sense when saved.

The short answer is, "No."  I think the only way to do this is either
through scripting at the commandline or by custom perl routines in
gnatsweb.  That would be a very nice feature, being able to use
relative or descriptive dates in a manner similar to at(1).  Perhaps
you could report it as a feature request to
address@hidden or use
http://gnats.wookimus.net/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl.

> For example, I might wish to see every PR that arrived today. If I
> construct a query using today's date and save it (using the Gnatsweb
> "cookie" feature), I can't use the same query tomorrow to show me
> the PRs that arrived that day. Instead, I have to construct a new
> query each day.
>
> I'd like to be able to specify a date like -5 -- meaning five days
> prior to today (-0 would mean today).

The equivalent line in at(1) would be: "at now - COUNT TIME_UNITS" or
"at now - 5 days".  In addition to the "now" alias, there are
"yesterday", "tomorrow", and "midnight", "noon", and even "teatime".
Time units can be "minutes", "hours", "days", or "weeks".  To
translate that into query-pr syntax:

        $ query-pr --expr 'Arrival-Date="today"'

or
        $ query-pr --expr 'Arrival-Date<"now - 3 hours"

Anyone willing to code that up? ;-)  We may be able to borrow some GPL
code in an existing project to do it.

--
Chad Walstrom <address@hidden>           http://www.wookimus.net/