Re: Users not set up for e-mails on the gnats host

From: Chad Walstrom
Subject: Re: Users not set up for e-mails on the gnats host
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 16:31:51 -0500

Jo A Wahle <address@hidden>  wrote:
> Hmm. That means the person who made the edit wouldn't get an e-mail.
> I suppose the one doing the editing ought to know that something
> changed, but they like to get the e-mail so they know it went
> through. It works most of the time; how does it normally get set?

Users who have access to the system are not necessarily mapped to an
email address.  The "responsible" and "submitters" files do have
emails associated with them.  However, GNATS was originally designed
to be run from the local UNIX machine, where everyone is assumed to
have an email ON that machine.  If the person editing the file needs
to be notified about changes, implement a Notify-List field for the
PR, where those interested can subscribe to it.

    field "Notify-List" {
        description "Addresses to notify of significant PR changes"
        text
        query-default inexact-regexp
        textsearch
    }

Then, modify the mail-format entries.  Here's a snippet from
initial-pr-notification in our dbconfig:

    # Any additional header text we want to add.  Must have a newline
    # at the
    # end of each line.
    header {
        format "Precedence: junk\nSubject: %s/%s: %s\nCc: %s\n"
        fields { "Category" "Number" "Subject:" "Notify-List" }
    }

And remember to add Notify-List to the initial entry:

    initial-entry {
        fields {
            "Submitter-Id" "Notify-List" "Originator" "Organization"
            "Synopsis" "Confidential" "Severity" "Priority" "Category"
            "Class" "Release" "Environment" "Description" "How-To-Repeat"
            "Fix"
        }
    }

This is the best you can do if the people who edit the PR's are not
the originator, the submitter, or the person responsible for the PR.

Remember, you can always edit the dbconfig to send emails wherever you
want.

--
Chad Walstrom <address@hidden>           http://www.wookimus.net/