Re: Knoppix is not entirely free software

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Knoppix is not entirely free software
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 11:37:45 -0500

    So perhaps we were premature in removing support for g...... in MH-E
    then.  It was only one of many supported indexers.

That wasn't premature--I asked you to remove that code.

Unlike Netscape and Windows, G...... is a fairly obscure non-free
program, so just telling people it exists and what it does tends to
promote it.  Moreover, desupporting it in Emacs could well encourage
people to switch to a free program that Emacs does support.

I wouldn't expect us to have much leverage convincing people to stop
using Windows or even Netscape by desupporting it in Emacs; even
Netscape probably has more users than Emacs does, and we would tend to
reduce usership of Emacs rather than that of Netscape.  Meanwhile,
mentioning the option of using Netscape won't very often inform people
that Netscape exists, because they already know that.