Re: Default coding system ?

From: Jesper Harder
Subject: Re: Default coding system ?
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 20:10:43 +0100

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@elta.co.il> writes:

> François Fleuret writes:
>
>> I read my mail with gnus, and from time to time, especially with spam
>> mails, gnus asks for a coding system with the following warning

You could try Gnus 5.10.  There has been quite a lot of changes in
this area since 5.9.

>> And this coding system issue is such a mess that I can not find the
>> courage to go deeper in the documentations.
>
> Why do you need courage to read the documentation?  The manual doesn't
> bite, you know.  So please do try reading it, and if something there
> isn't clear, please complain on gnu.emacs.bug about documentation
> quality.

I agree with François that it's a mess.  It don't really blame the
documentation -- it's more the design that's hard to understand and
use, i.e. the multibyte vs. unibyte distinction and character-set
vs. coding-system vs. mime-charset.

Also, stuff like CCL and MULE isn't particularly well documented.