Re: Newbie: Interactive goto-line ?!

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Newbie: Interactive goto-line ?!
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 14:59:16 +0200

> From: David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: 26 Feb 2004 20:28:47 +0100
> > >
> > > I agree.  Which begs the question: Why on earth is it turned _off_
> > > by default?
> >
> > Conservatism.  It's a matter of time.
>
> Ok, we should tackle this, I think.  It is something that beginners
> complain about all the time, and that the more intelligent persons
> will be able to turn off by just clicking the first entry in the
> "Options" menu.
>
> How about if we have a command-line option -bw (and probably also -wb
> since many vision-impaired people prefer white on black) that will,
> among other things, turn off font-locking?

I'd rather suggest that the issue of making global-font-lock-mode on
by default be raised on the developers' mailing list each time a new
release is about to enter a pretest, until we succeed in convincing
The Powers That Be to agree to it.  Until now, this was discussed a
few times, and you-all know the results...