Re: coding system

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: coding system
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 20:08:25 +0100

Am 22.03.2005 um 13:47 schrieb Olive:

I am confused about emacs and coding system. If I evaluate the following function

(read-event "Press a key: ")

and press the é key (e acute); I see 2281 in the echo aera. If I want to rebind the é key the command which works is

(global-set-key [2281] 'foo)

the command

(global-set-key "é" 'foo)

does not work.

Can it be that you too are confused about the difference of an event and a character representation? I think your keyboard does not deliver glyphs or characters, it's just an event that has to be transformed into some other property. So your both global-set-key's are distinct.

If you want to know a character's representation, position the cursor on it and type C-u C-x =.

For me (kbd "é") is 2281 ...

--
Greetings

  Pete

"Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?"
                                                   - Tom Stoppard