Re: auto completion in version control

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: auto completion in version control
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 20:01:21 -0500

>> So you actually want completion on the N.M ????
>> I never thought someone might want to do that.
>> Could you explain why that'd be useful?

> If you have to go to a log file to know which version you want, then it's
> useless.  But usually I have this situation: I'm editing a file and need
> to check what some section was like, say, 2 or 3 versions before the last
> one.  No need to go to a log file.  Are there better ways to do that than
> to have an autocompletion list?

Oh, I see.  In C-x v = you can just do M-n to get the "current" revision an
then edit it.  With C-x v ~ you can't do that because it doesn't provide
a default.

Wait, no, I still don't quite understand: the current revision is visible in
the modeline of the corresponding buffer, so there's still no need for
a completion list to figure out what's the revision number corresponding to
"2 or 3 revisions ago".

Anyway, I see your point.  In other revision control systems like Arch or
Darcs, revision names aren't nearly as concise as N.M and completion makes
a lot of sense there.  So this feature will be added at some point, but
it'll apparently be *after* Emacs-22.

        Stefan