Re: Undo'ing cursor movement keys

From: Eric Eide
Subject: Re: Undo'ing cursor movement keys
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 08:25:57 -0600 (MDT)

"Bob" == Bob  <junkmail71@gmail.com> writes:

        Bob> Coming from the Windows world, one of the items that I became
        Bob> highly accustomed to with my editor, Codewright, was that you
        Bob> could UNDO printable characters as well as the cursor
        Bob> positioning/movement keys.
        Bob>
        Bob> Is there any equivalent for emacs?  Can anyone point me to
        Bob> where/how to accomplish this?

I don't know to accomplish exactly what you want, but I will give you two
pointers that you might find useful:

  + The `scroll-in-place' Emacs add-on package makes scrolling commends
    "effectively" undoable, in the sense that PageDown+PageUp will always
    bring the cursor back to its starting location.  Get this package from:

      http://www.cs.utah.edu/~eeide/emacs/scroll-in-place.el.gz

    The variable `scroll-preserve-screen-position', which is built into GNU
    Emacs, has a similar effect.

  + Often, you can get back to where you want to be by "popping the mark ring."
    The key binding for this is C-u C-SPC.  Read the online GNU Emacs manual
    for more information about "marks" and the mark ring.

Good luck! ---

Eric.

Eric Eide <eeide@cs.utah.edu>  .         University of Utah School of Computing
http://www.cs.utah.edu/~eeide/ . +1 (801) 585-5512 voice, +1 (801) 581-5843 FAX