Re: AucTeX 11.83 and MikTeX 2.5

From: Robert McDonald
Subject: Re: AucTeX 11.83 and MikTeX 2.5
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 14:32:21 GMT

Reiner Steib wrote:
I'd be surprised if yap really can handle all pstricks and psfrag
tricks.  (But I don't use Windows and so i don't know yap.)

I think your instinct is correct: I believe that yap calls dvips as a helper program (there is a "render method" menu item, and one choice is dvips). However it is done, Yap can now display files with postscript specials and also perform inverse search on them. I'm impressed.

Customize `TeX-output-view-style'.  In other words, delete the
"^pstricks$\\|^pst-\\|^psfrag$" entry there.

Well, I'm a nitwit. I had tried deleting that entry but I forgot to byte-compile the file afterwards, so the change had no effect.

In case this is of interest to anyone else, I have edited one entry and added one entry to tex-mik.el to make auctex 11.83 work better with MikTeX 2.5. (This is trial and error, so suggestions and corrections are welcome.):

; new command to compile with source specials
(unless (get 'LaTeX-command 'saved-value)
  (setq LaTeX-command
        "latex -src-specials -interaction=nonstopmode %t"))

; changed last line to have yap open at current cursor location.
(unless (get 'TeX-view-style 'saved-value)
  (setq TeX-view-style '(("^epsf$" "start %f")

Thanks for your help Reiner!

Bob