Re: OT -- An extremely dumb curiosity question?

From: CHENG Gao
Subject: Re: OT -- An extremely dumb curiosity question?
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 00:26:58 +0800

*On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 17:59:43 +0200
* Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> climbed out of the dark hell and cried out:

>> Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 23:41:31 +0100
>> From: "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com>
>> Cc: EMACS List <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
>>
>> I am using Thunderbird as my mail client. I found it too hard to get
>> any Emacs mail client working on MS Windows. The instructions
>> unfortunately did not seem trustworthy for MS Windows and I depend
>> on that my mail client works without problems.
>
> I find the current instructions so easy and reliable that I cannot
> understand how someone with your, Lennart, experience could not
> succeed to set up email in Emacs on Windows.
>
> It worked for me 5 seconds after I installed Emacs on Windows for the
> first time, as soon as I've set 3 variables (smtpmail-smtp-server,
> smtpmail-smtp-service, and smtpmail-auth-credentials).

Before dumping Windows, I used self built Emacs CVS with Gnus for some
time (2 years? Dont remember). I dont think there is any difference from
setting up in GNU/Linux or MacOSX (only I need set up to use bdf fonts).
I installed cygwin, and built Emacs with mingw, and run from cygwin (for
purpose of easily using cygwin apps like w3m, uncompface etc.).

I am very happy for this, since when I move to my Mac and Ubuntu, I only
need to copy two dirs out (~/gnus/ for all mails, score files etc,
~/.emacs.d/ for all Emacs related conf files), and put them under home
dir, and voila!
(This is one of the reasons I love Emacs/Gnus to death.)