Re: xdisaster

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: xdisaster
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 09:43:49 +1000

Sean Sieger <sean.sieger@gmail.com> writes:

> Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null> writes:
>
>    in emacs, to read man pages, use either M-x man or M-x woman. Both
>    have slightly different features. I find woman great for longer and
>    more in-depth man reading sessions, but M-x man is great when I
>    just want to check something like command line switches etc.
>
> Thank you Tim.  M-x woman The thing that bugs me about M-x woman is
> that it starts another instance of emacs; is there a way to prevent
> this?

Woman doesn't start another 'instance' of emacs. It will open up in its own
frame when running under X. You can change this behavior by setting the
variable woman-use-own-frame to nil. (Note that under emacs terminology, a
'frame' is similar to what is often referred to as a window by other systems).

Either run woman (to make sure it has been loaded) and then do

M-x customize-group <RET> woman <RET> and find the appropriate entry (I believe
its under the subgroup woman-interface). Alternatively, just a

(setq woman-use-own-frame nil)

in your .emacs will probably also work (though I'd highly recommend using the
customize
interface).

Tim

,----[ C-h v woman-use-own-frame RET ]