Re: view-mode dismissed when changing major mode

From: Holger Sparr
Subject: Re: view-mode dismissed when changing major mode
Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 14:27:15 +0200

Johan schrieb am 27.04.2007:

> Holger Sparr <sparr+usenet@mfk.tu-dresden.de> writes:
>
>> When opening a file with view-file and then switching to a different
>> major mode to get some fontification the view-mode is dismmissed.
>>
>> Is this intended behavior?
>
> Yes.
>
>     (defun view-mode-enable ()
>       "Turn on View mode."
>       ;; Always leave view mode before changing major mode.
>       ;; This is to guarantee that the buffer-read-only variable is restored.
>       (add-hook 'change-major-mode-hook 'view-mode-disable nil t)
>       [...]

Then I'd suggest a function 'View-fontify-buffer-according-to' and make
it available in the view-mode-map.

This function should ask for a major mode for fontification, apply the
fontification and enable the view-mode afterwards.

This would make it handy to view files which do not match a regular
expression in auto-mode-alist.

Holger