Re: Why emacs have not native language menu

From: Ilya Zakharevich
Subject: Re: Why emacs have not native language menu
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 00:48:23 +0000 (UTC)

Stefan Monnier
<monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>], who wrote in article
<jwvir8apj5p.fsf-monnier+gnu.emacs.help@gnu.org>:
> As for why, I would guess it's a mix of difficulty (need someone who
> understand enough of Emacs and of localization to deal with it both at the
> C and the Lisp level)

Would not it be trivial to just advice() bind-key() (sp?)?

> - many elements are sufficiently dynamic that it's going to be
>   difficult to add support to translate them.

How this is different from localization of other applications?

> - an important side of Emacs is that it exposes a lot of its internals: many
>   important commands are reached via M-x where the term you enter is the
>   name of a function (i.e. not quite a string), and all the online help
>   refers to those things as well.

How this is related to the menu?

> Still, it's quite doable.

I think it is practically trivial.  The C part is just to expose the
localization part of CRTL to Lisp; the rest can be done through
advice().

Please correct me if I'm wrong,
Ilya