Re: set-face-attribute width condensed/expanded no difference? (Mac)

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: set-face-attribute width condensed/expanded no difference? (Mac)
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 17:16:30 +0100

Am 23.11.2007 um 16:18 schrieb Presto:

Is there any hack (possibly involving
building from source) with which I could set character spacing? Even
setting a constant for all fonts would suffice.

There is, quite certainly. The (Japanese) Carbon Emacs (Package) contains some extra ELisp files, that do some font manipulation. I never tried to understand what they're doing, but they need to do some adjustments that CJK glyphs can be combined with Latin ones, which probably is a common case. But: they don't work perfectly in case faces are mixed (regular with variants).

Alternatively, is there a source code file in CVS that I can track to
discover when support is added? (Looking at commit logs)

There is one big problem with this approach: the development for Mac OS X has stopped. Carbon Emacsen are based mostly on stable GNU Emacs code, i.e. GNU Emacs 22.1 (or 22.2?). Emacs.app is based on 23.0.60 code.

I've seen that both Carbon Emacs and the Cocoa Emacs.app support the typical Mac OS X font panel. From this you can choose also "Typographical Features" that some fonts have. Changes made here, for example more or less space between characters, are not applied to the frame, and neither colour or shadow. This looks as if some parts of ATSUI are not fully enabled ... I'd wish it was, because some mono- spaced fonts seem to have incorrect values recorded for some dimensions and some adjustment by hand would be fine.

http://emacs-app.sourceforge.net/
http://macwiki.sourceforge.jp/emacs/
http://sourceforge.jp/projects/macemacsjp/files/

MacOSX-Emacs mailing list