Re: How to make "C-x 4" command work better for widescreen monitor

From: Aliaksey Kandratsenka
Subject: Re: How to make "C-x 4" command work better for widescreen monitor
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 00:28:46 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 28, 8:59 pm, Pony <lingyu.ma...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> When we run the command "C-x 4 f", which will open a new file in a new
> buffer under the current one,
> the Emacs will cut the whole window into two vertical ones, each takes
> 50% space of the screen.
>
> However at present more and more people begin to use widescreen tft
> monitor for programming,
> in my opinion it will be much better that, after we run "C-x 4"
> commands the Emacs cut the whole screen into two HORIZONTALL screens.

Hi. Sorry for not answering your original question, but I'd like to
express my opinion on widescreen monitors for development.
I think that for typical code with few long lines it makes more sense
to use 'tallscreen' monitors than widescreen. That way more useful
information will fit into screen.

At home I have usual monitor which can be rotated to portrait mode. I
have used portrait mode (with corresponding image rotation via xrandr,
of course) several times for programming and this seems like good
option.

Aliaksey