An Eclim frontend for Emacs (was: Is JDEE moribund? Is Emacs a viable Ja

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: An Eclim frontend for Emacs (was: Is JDEE moribund? Is Emacs a viable Java devel environment?)
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 13:32:24 +0200

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Lennart,

>>> There has been very much done to CEDET now. Would it not be a good
>>> idea to use CEDET for an interface to eclim?
>>
>> CEDET uses another approach.  It has it's own parsers and analyzers
>> which enable it to do smart autocompletion and other intelligent
>> stuff.  This works quite well for C/C++, because Eric has put a lot
>> of effort into it, and I highly appreciate that.
>
> Maybe I am misunderstanding this, but I thought that CEDET is written
> so that it can use external parsers etc.

No, AFAIK CEDET uses it's own wisent parser generator and its own
grammars.  And even if you get the syntax tree out of that parser, it's
a long way to do something sophisticated with it.

Eclim lets the editor do what it can do best -- editing text.  If it's
capable of issuing commands on the command line and receiving the
output, then it can use all of eclipse's intelligence.  I think this a
good deal.  Eclipse will never become a decent editor, and emacs has not
the resources to catch up when it comes to understanding and analyzing
java (and probably other languages such as Scala) source code.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
No person,  no idea, and no  religion deserves to be  illegal to insult,
not even the Church of Emacs. (Richard M. Stallman)