Re: remote file editing over ssh with emacs 22.3.1 on Windows

From: Anselm Helbig
Subject: Re: remote file editing over ssh with emacs 22.3.1 on Windows
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 19:54:14 +0200

At Sat, 16 May 2009 18:03:06 +0100,
Chris Withers <chris@simplistix.co.uk> wrote:

> Anselm Helbig wrote:
> > There's a feature in TRAMP to do just that. This used to be called
> > "multi-hop" but now is configured with `tramp-default-proxies-alist';
> > the documentation is still under (info "(tramp) Multi-hops"). Here's
> > what I have in my .emacs to use it:
>
> <snip>
>
> This all seems like a lot of work...
>
> I was hoping for something like:
>
> C-x C-f /sudo:myuser:root:www.example.com:/
>
> Is anything like that available?

There used to be a way to do this, in the old days this would have
been:

  /multi:ssh:myuser@example.com:sudo::/

Alas, this doesn't work anymore. You could try an older version of
tramp, but this doesn't seem like a good solution. Maybe you should
ask the developers to put the explicit multi-hop functionality back
in? I'm not aware of the reason why it was dropped, maybe the syntax
was too confusing.

There might also be a quick way to put this functionality back in as a
patch, but I'm not familiar enough with tramp's internals to do this.

Regards,

Anselm

--
Anselm Helbig