Re: Multi-Parent Nodes in org-mode

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: Multi-Parent Nodes in org-mode
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 01:20:07 +0200

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks, I think I see what you mean. Not sure if ids are better than
> headlines though. That depends quite a bit on how ids are displayed in
> links.

I think IDs are more stable than headlines.  If the headline is the id
of the node, then changing one single char of the headline can make it
invisible for other nodes refering to it.  With IDs as properties you
don't need to care about the headline.

* My task
  :PROPERTIES:
  :ID:       q8ic5nz0voe0
  :END:

Try M-x org-store-link with the cursor within this subtree,
and then try M-x org-insert-link -- it will insert this:

[[id:q8ic5nz0voe0][My task]]

Since "My task" is just a label, no problem, the headline can change the
link will still be okay.  You can even link between different files, it
will be okay.

> Are the headline text displayed in the links? How do you create them.

See above.

> As a sidenote I notice that it is actually quite hard to add a
> hyperlink to a headline.

For me I just bind org-store-link to C-c l and that's it...

> If you from the menus choose "add hyperlink" you get into another
> track.  Should not making links to headlines and ids be there too?

For me it is here - maybe I don't understand?

--
 Bastien