Re: set window width

From: Dimitrios Apostolou
Subject: Re: set window width
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 11:37:14 +0300 (EEST)

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010, Lennart Borgman wrote:
On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 10:17 PM, Dimitrios Apostolou <jimis@gmx.net> wrote:
Hello list,

when working with emacs I usually have one (or more) frame maximised and I
split vertically in as many windows as possible. However after splitting I
want to set width to exactly 80 columns, so that I can split as many fit.

I've been searching for some M-x set-window-width function but I can't find
anything. The closer solution I've found is

 M-x set-variable window-min-width 80

and then drag the fringe with the mouse. That's suboptimal imho. Any better
ideas?

The latest version of winsize.el in nXhtml has something that I think
fit your need (in the function resize-windows). But that version is
just in the repository yet.

Thanks, I just installed winsize.el together with ourcomments-widgets.el and indeed, resize-windows is a very nice function! It would be very useful if it showed the size at the bottom, e.g. 50x80, while resizing. You think it's easy to add this?

Thanks,
Dimitris