Re: Alt vs Meta - Sun keyboard, redhat linux

From: chengiz
Subject: Re: Alt vs Meta - Sun keyboard, redhat linux
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 09:12:25 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 3, 5:53 pm, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyba...@Web.DE> wrote:
> Why do you think the Alt and Meta key modifiers have something to do
> with MS Losedos?

Where do I think that?

> If you want to find out what some "Alt" named key on your keyboard
> produces, then use xev (best launched from a *shell* buffer in GNU
> Emacs), give it the focus and press that key. Xev will produce some
> cryptic output that can be deciphered to some meaning. Similarly
> proceed with the "Meta" titled key on your keyboard. With the
> information of the key codes these keys generate when pressed or
> released, you can reset "key bindings" in X11:
>
>         keycode <whichever> = Alt_R
>         keycode <whatever> = Meta_L

I used xev to verify that the Alt-key produces Alt_L and the 2 meta-
keys produce Meta_L and Meta_R. Emacs treats the meta-keys as if they
produced M- which is what I want, however it also treats the Alt-key
as if produced M-, which is what I want to change to A-. I think the
missing piece is what emacs is doing with Alt_L, as in why it is not
processing it as A-.
Here's my xmodmap output:
shift       Shift_L (0x32),  Shift_R (0x3e)
lock        Caps_Lock (0x42)
control     Control_L (0x25),  Control_R (0x6d)
mod1        Alt_L (0x40),  Alt_R (0x71),  Alt_L (0x7d)
mod2        Num_Lock (0x4d)
mod3
mod4        Meta_L (0x73),  Meta_R (0x74),  Super_L (0x7f),  Hyper_L
(0x80),  Meta_L (0x9c)
mod5        Mode_switch (0x5d),  ISO_Level3_Shift (0x7c)
I cant tell what to put in my xmodmaprc to make sure emacs behaves
correctly.

Thanks,
chengiz