Re: print out all members of a list, v.1.0

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: print out all members of a list, v.1.0
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2011 22:24:17 -0500

In article <878vwvuq3o.fsf@kuiper.lan.informatimago.com>,
 "Pascal J. Bourguignon" <pjb@informatimago.com> wrote:

> Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> writes:
> > Emacs Lisp is mostly a reimplementation of MockLisp, the dialect that
> > was used in Gosling Emacs, which was the original inspiration for GNU
> > Emacs.  It's also very much like MACLISP, the dialect that RMS had been
> > using for over a decade.
> >
> > So he didn't design his own language, he was basically sticking with
> > what he knew and liked.
>
> MacLisp probably.  CL is inspired a lot from MacLisp too.   But I've
> read that MockLisp was far from being a full lisp (as its name would
> imply), and that it was probably the reason why RMS had to write a new
> real lisp for his emacs.

I think he may have taken much inspiration from Multics Maclisp and the
macros used in Multics Emacs. For example, I think that's where
save-excursion came from. It was also case-sensitive, unlike PDP-10
MACLISP.

I imagine this is the only good thing RMS would admit came out of
Multics.  He wasn't a big fan of the OS because security was one of its
central features.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA