Re: tmux & emacs: window issue

From: Thorsten
Subject: Re: tmux & emacs: window issue
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 08:44:32 +0100

Angel de Vicente <angelv@iac.es> writes:

Hi Angel,

> Thorsten <quintfall@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi List,
>> I don't really know if this question should go to an Emacs or an tmux
>> (== modern gnu screen) newsgroup, so I try it here:
>>
>> I just discovered, that having one emacs daemon running, I can open as
>> many emacsclients as I want and can do (being on plain terminal) all the
>> window management with my terminal multiplexer (tmux). This works fine
>> and appears more stable than something like winring.el, that caused more
>> emacs crashes for me than anything else.
>>
>> However, using gnus and an emacs frame splittet into 3 windows, a new
>> problem appeared. Before, when visiting a link in an article, w3m just
>> opened inside the article window - perfect. Now, w3m overrides the
>> windowsplitting in the gnus frame and takes over the whole screen, so I
>> avoid following links in the gnus article window.
>>
>> Did anybody experience similar problems using screen or tmux?
>
> I run screen, launch an emacs -daemon at some point, and then I open
> multiple emacsclient -t instances inside screen. One of these instances
> is just for Gnus, and I don't have the problem you describe. When
> entering a group I have two windows, the summary buffer and the article
> buffer. Following a link in the article buffer just causes that window
> to be replaced with the w3m stuff.

There (probably) lies the problem - in Gnus I have a vertical split (left
window *Group* buffer, right window *Summary* buffer), and that right
window is splittet horizontally when I want to read an article with the
lower part showing the *article* buffer. Normally, I do have an w3m
buffer open in another tmux-window, that occupies half the screen (one
pane of a vertical split).

I don't know if tmux is confused by the intent of fitting a buffer that
has a half-screen pane in one tmux-window into a pane of another
tmux-window thats smaller. This might be the problem, since I can open
w3m in another tmux-window that has the same splitting as the original
one without problems.

On the other hand - I like the Gnus frame with the 3 windows, thats very
convenient.

Cheers