Re: Umlauts on Mac in 24 pretest

From: ken
Subject: Re: Umlauts on Mac in 24 pretest
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 15:43:35 -0400

On 05/23/2012 11:59 AM Neuwirth Erich wrote:
I am using Emacs pretest 24.0.97 on a Mac with Lion 10.7.4.
Some of my documents are in German, so I need to enter umlauts and sharp s.
I have not your found an easy solution without giving up to many other keyboard
macros.
I still would like to use Cmd-X_C_V for Cut-Copy-Paste.
And I still would like to use Alt as the meta key.

Is there a good solution complying with my wish list?

For a few years I've been wanting to do the same. I've tried various ways and recently came upon SCIM. It's an application which comes with Linux (at least my CentOS distribution).... so it's free and open source software (FOSS). So you probably could find it for OS X. Or maybe it's already installed.

It's just a tiny block in the lower-left corner of the screen and you can set it to any one of several dozen languages/alphabets... on the fly.... even in the middle of using an application. Yes, not only does it work for emacs, but for every application I run-- web pages (where you input text), email, IM windows, on the command line, in other editors... everything. The default coding on my system (set in the OS) is UTF-8. In SCIM I select latin-pre. This enables me to easily type characters like ä, ë, ö, ü, «, », and ß, as well as French characters like é and è and ç and Spanish characters such as ñ and ¿. And other characters such as ½, ¾, and ¼. And many more. It's all very easy. It's great. It's what I've been hoping for für eine sehr lange Zeit. No special configuration in emacs or in any other app is needed at all. You just start using it.

If the characters in this email don't appear accurately in your email reader, select UTF-8 as your character encoding.

hth,
ken