Re: Does anyone really use emacs in terminal?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Does anyone really use emacs in terminal?
Date: Sun, 05 May 2013 02:57:47 -0400

> Seems like there's no real point in supporting terminal-mode in a text
> editor these days.

I think we'd drop terminal support if there was a good case *for* it.
But as it currently stands, before Emacs could benefit from dropping
support for terminal mode, we'd need a fair bit of change I think.

Admittedly, I have internalized most of the problems with terminal mode,
but I have a hard time thinking of cases where "oh, but it needs to also
work in terminal mode" was a significant impediment.

The only place that comes to mind is for choosing key bindings, but
even there, many other constraints (e.g. backward compatibility so as
not to anger all existing users; and being accessible for users of many
different keyboard layouts) tend to bring in the same problems anyway.

        Stefan