Re: What are advantages and disadvantages of RMAIL and mh-rmail ?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: What are advantages and disadvantages of RMAIL and mh-rmail ?
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 02:26:27 +0200

> Note that I don't want to use nnmbox for new incommings,
> I'm happy with nnml, I just want a Gnus group populated
> with the messages now in my RMAIL file, and then use
> that group as an archive. (But it can be a separate
> group. It doesn't have to be merged with the nnml inbox,
> mail.misc, although that would be optimal.)

OK, it seems the nnml inbox ended up in

~/Mail/mail/misc

where the mails (one file for each) looks like this (on
ls)

13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Now, in my old RMAIL mail file, I selected what I
thought was one mail, and wrote it to (the file)
13. Then, in Gnus, I opened that mail, and it all worked
seamlessly, except - the subject (in the Gnus summary)
was wrong, it hadn't changed.

Turned out, in the misc directory, there is an .overview
file with one line per file (mail), that looks like

13
Subject
A Name <a.name@mail.com>
Thu, 26 Sep 2013 20:52:01 +0200
(and then some more metadata)

But instead of line breaks, it seems - sometimes
whitespace, and sometimes a tab, and sometimes both.

So, the Gnus summary reads from the .overview file, and
only when you select a message you get it from the
actual file (e.g., 13).

Now, I guess this could be solved by a parser that reads
the RMAIL file, and for each entry, creates a numbered
mail file, *and* append to the .overview file the number
and the headers?

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573