RE: manual activism (was: Re: no C-h i m emacs ??)

From: Subhan Michael Tindall
Subject: RE: manual activism (was: Re: no C-h i m emacs ??)
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 17:36:02 +0000

It may be legal, however, it is likely not going to get you far. Most libraries
have a process in place to put books in to circulation.  A donated book is as
likely to end up in the 'friends of the library' sale as it is in circulation,
and you have virtually no control over that.
A much better route is to contact your library, find out who curates the
computer manual collection, and talk with them first.  A short document
explaining what you want to donate and why it would be of use in the collection
might be of use also.
I had a war tax protester friend who used to donate books for circulation every
year with her tax money. It often took several months to get approval for
specific books to be approved for the circulating collection.  Most of the time
she ended up just asking the library for a short list of desired books and
would work from there.
I don't know about your local library, but here in Multnomah County, OR, our
library also has an extensive ebook collection that can be checked out, that
might be an easier route to pursue to get such manuals added to the collection.

This message is intended for the sole use of the individual and entity to which
it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential
and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended
addressee, nor authorized to receive for the intended addressee, you are hereby
notified that you may not use, copy, disclose or distribute to anyone the
message or any information contained in the message. If you have received this
message in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply email and
delete the message.  Thank you.