Re: error when trying to add a new rss feed

From: Alex Kost
Subject: Re: error when trying to add a new rss feed
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2015 11:15:12 +0300

Sharon Kimble (2015-11-12 22:22 +0300) wrote:

> I'm trying to install a new rss feed in gnus, but am consistently
> getting this error message -
>

> (error "www.syndic8.com/80 Name or service not known") in open-network-stream
>
> How can I get rid of this so that I can add a new feed please?

Hello, I remember I also had this error.  "www.syndic8.com" thing came
from emacs itself.  It is a fallback or something like it (look at
"M-x find-function nnrss-find-rss-via-syndic8").

I don't recall in details, but I think I faced this error when I wanted
to use Atom feeds in gnus.  So I used the same code from the wiki to
convert Atom to RSS as you do, and it worked for me.  Make sure you have
"atom2rss.xsl" as described in the wiki.  Good luck!

P.S.  It is probably of no interest for you, but a code I use for
converting Atom to RSS is placed here:

https://github.com/alezost/emacs-utils/blob/master/utl-gnus.el#L199-L238

And in my emacs config I have:

(setq utl-atom2rss-file "/path/to/atom2rss.xsl")
(advice-add 'mm-url-insert :after #'utl-convert-atom-to-rss)

--
Alex