Re: error when trying to add a new rss feed

From: Sharon Kimble
Subject: Re: error when trying to add a new rss feed
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2015 16:56:19 +0000

Alex Kost <alezost@gmail.com> writes:

> Sharon Kimble (2015-11-12 22:22 +0300) wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to install a new rss feed in gnus, but am consistently
>> getting this error message -
>>

>> (error "www.syndic8.com/80 Name or service not known") in open-network-stream
>>
>> How can I get rid of this so that I can add a new feed please?
>
> Hello, I remember I also had this error.  "www.syndic8.com" thing came
> from emacs itself.  It is a fallback or something like it (look at
> "M-x find-function nnrss-find-rss-via-syndic8").

nnrss-find-rss-via-syndic8 is a compiled Lisp function in `nnrss.el'.

(nnrss-find-rss-via-syndic8 URL)

Query syndic8 for the rss feeds it has for URL.

In which case, maybe it would work better if I just commented that line
out? We shall see.

> I don't recall in details, but I think I faced this error when I wanted
> to use Atom feeds in gnus.  So I used the same code from the wiki to
> convert Atom to RSS as you do, and it worked for me.  Make sure you have
> "atom2rss.xsl" as described in the wiki.  Good luck!
>

> P.S.  It is probably of no interest for you, but a code I use for
> converting Atom to RSS is placed here:
>
> https://github.com/alezost/emacs-utils/blob/master/utl-gnus.el#L199-L238
>
> And in my emacs config I have:
>
> (setq utl-atom2rss-file "/path/to/atom2rss.xsl")
> (advice-add 'mm-url-insert :after #'utl-convert-atom-to-rss)

Thanks, I've incorporated both snippets into my "init.org" and will
shortly try it out.

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk