Re: return first element in list with certain property

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: return first element in list with certain property
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2017 18:11:06 +0100

t wrote:

> I disagree somewhat. At the moment, Emacs tip
> is compiling peacefully in the background
> (Debian GNU Linux user here). Compiling Emacs
> has never been so easy, especially on
> GNU/Linux.
>
> My strategy is this: There are some
> applications close to my heart (Emacs is one
> :) which I do compile myself (I have a strong
> opinion about things, and disagree on some
> choices made by the distributor). I try to
> script everything (e.g. the "configuration"
> is a script) and compile often. This keeps
> the build pipeline "warm".

Yes, it is not difficult to compile Emacs or
any other individual application from source.
If it is then something is wrong. To put the
process (procedure) in a script or shell
function is a good idea, if you didn't get
a script with the tarball. Even so you can
execute that script from your own script or
function :) What's difficult about compiling is
when multiple programs are involved and they
depend on each other in ways that are difficult
for a human to grasp. Luckily that is easy for
a computer to which is the basis for the by now
very successful packet managers.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573