Re: Fatal error 11: Segmentation Fault

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Fatal error 11: Segmentation Fault
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2019 03:20:23 +0200

Emanuel Berg <moasenwood@zoho.eu> writes:

>> (info "(emacs) Checklist")
>
> It says one should execute Emacs in the same
> directory as the source, but I have my emacs25
> from the Raspbian repos. (I have the
> emacs25-src pack but I suspect that isn't what
> is refered to.)

emacs25-dbg (if exists in Raspbian) is needed for readable stack traces.

> The source my Emacs was installed from isn't
> still on my computer (with apt-get/aptitude),
> right?

If you have emacs25-src installed, you have the source, I suppose.

> Also it isn't clear IMO exactly what to do,
> more of a tech discussion and lots of what
> _not_ to do.
>
> I don't say there is a silver bullet solution,
> more like a paragraph could be "If you have no
> clue what's going on, do this as a best-effort
> first move..."

Okay, after installing emacs25-dbg, do this:

$ gdb emacs
(gdb) run
<... use emacs until it crashes ...>
(gdb) backtrace
(gdb) xbacktrace

Copy the output of the last two commands and paste them on the buffer
created by M-x report-emacs-bug.

To exit GDB:

(gdb) quit
<... if it asks for a confirmation, say `y'...>