help-gnucap

Re: [Help-gnucap] gnucap-amds: Installation

From: Felix Salfelder
Subject: Re: [Help-gnucap] gnucap-amds: Installation
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 14:08:27 +0100

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 07:41:27AM +0000, Manthe Thomas - Maschinenfabrik
Reinhausen wrote:
> Da mich, wie gesagt, nur Verilog-A interessiert, habe ich mir die
> Variante gnucap-adms (gnucap-adms-0.0.7-rc2.tar.gz) heruntergeladen.
> Dieses Archiv habe ich auf einem Linux-Betriebssystem (Linux Mint
> Version 17 32bit), welches ich in einer VM betriebe, entpackt, um es
> nach der Vorgabe in der Datei "INSTALL" zu installieren.  Bereits bei
> dem Befehl "./configure" kam es zum Abbruch:
> [..]
> configure: error: gnucap-conf not found, not implemented

[
translated from german (shortened):
Tried to install gnucap-adms-0.0.7-rc2 from tarball on Linux Mint.
doesn't work, configure says
configure: error: gnucap-conf not found, not implemented
]

Hi Thomas.

thanks for your interest.

gnucap-adms is being developed for gnucap-uf, which is less stable and
has some more experimental features relative to gnucap. one of these
features is gnucap-conf. gnucap-conf is a small script that holds the
paths to the parts of the corresponding gnucap installation. it is much
like a .pc file, but executable, and does not pull in a dependency on
pkgconfig. the current gnucap release and packages do not include
gnucap-conf or anything similar.

one of these options might get around your issue.

1) use gnucap-uf, until this has settled. might yield some more
   problems. this works for me, at least.
2) install gnucap from the "autotools" branch (work in progress?), using
   the autotools build system. this includes gnucap-conf.
3) hack manually specified paths into configure. i do not like this very
   much. see e.g. [2, line 25ff] for my early, now untested implementation.
4) think of something much smarter. please let us know about it :D

some additional notes:

the README file in gnucap-adms is out of date (you already guessed). it
says, the package works for gnucap-uf and "0.36+dev", which is roughtly
what 2) is now about. this is partially true. regardless, you are
strongly advised to fetch gnucap-adms from git [3].

have fun
felix

[1] http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnucap.git/log/?h=autotools
[2]
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnucap/gnucap-models.git/tree/configure.ac?h=autotools&id=cee1bf8d05444fce7caf42f306d9c61ec726ea02
[3] git://git.savannah.gnu.org/gnucap/gnucap-adms.git