help-gnucomm

RE: RPMs for Mandrake

From: IT3 Stuart B. Tener, USNR-R
Subject: RE: RPMs for Mandrake
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 19:50:04 -0700

Mr. Bodo:

        Perhaps I was given bad information at the GNUComm booth. As a
relatively time-restrained end user (of voice mail products for the moment),
what I saw at the GNUComm both seemed quite workable. Let me describe what I am
looking for and what I thought I understood, and perhaps you (or others) can
guide me appropriately.

        I understand now what may have happened, and apologize for any
insinuations I made. I have never heard the term "meta-project" before, but if
it implies the implementation of several other projects in complete package to
embody a further use, then I do understand.

        The man at the booth (whom was there when the show opened right at 10am
on Tuesday), showed me how he was able to write scripts, and had a set of
scripts able to operate as a crude voice mail, and said I could roll my own
voice mail machine. To that end, he started to talk about all these pieces or
different software products (Bayonne was one), which needed to be installed. He
then assured me, its okay though, if you download and install the GNUComm RPM
you will get everything you need in one place, in one package, and it comes
with Mandrake 8.0 he said! I use Mandrake 8.0, and spent hours on the net and
reviewing CDs trying to locate this stuff, so I got rather annoyed by the time
I got to you.

        At the risk of sounding insulting (and I am not intending too), I don't
think that the way GNUComm is structured right now, its going to be very easy
to implement, but I hope I am wrong.

        The software he spoke of said would now support lucent linmodems, and
was encompassing parts of Bayonne.

        From your last replies, it seems that setting up a voice mail machine
is quite difficult, so for the moment I will investigate other solutions.
However, I do appreciate your time and efforts, and I hope one day there is a
real communications system for Linux, which is powerful and easy to install and
use.

Very Respectfully,

Stuart Blake Tener, IT3, USNR-R, N3GWG
Beverly Hills, California
VTU 1904G (Volunteer Training Unit)
address@hidden
west coast: (310)-358-0202 P.O. Box 16043, Beverly Hills, CA 90209-2043
east coast: (215)-338-6005 P.O. Box 45859, Philadelphia, PA 19149-5859

Telecopier: (419)-715-6073 fax to email gateway via www.efax.com (it's free!)

JOIN THE US NAVY RESERVE, SERVE YOUR COUNTRY, AND BENEFIT FROM IT ALL.

Friday, September 07, 2001 7:41 PM