Re: [Help-gnunet] A few questions...

From: Tracy R Reed
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] A few questions...
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 11:18:28 -0700

On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 01:06:25PM -0500, Christian Grothoff spake thusly:
> Well, having had problems with JXTA only reporting bind errors in 'debug'
> logging yesterday, I've thought about that. For the p2p-port, this is
> certainly an option & probably a good idea -- of course, if you run a tight
> firewall, a fixed port will still be better. For the CS-port, a fixed port
> will be needed since the client can not 'guess' which port gnunetd is
> listening on.

Even if you run a tight firewall, you hopefully only have to install
gnunetd once so you poke a hole for that port and that's it. Clients will
often be connecting to localhost or at least a machine on the local
network anyhow so a fixed port is good there.

> There is no negative impact on the network, even if you locally just index
> /dev/random. Content is currently only moved in the network if it is
> requested, so you'll just make more content available (which is always good).
> Note that every node has a (compile-time) limit of about 8 GB of content that
> it can index.

Cool. I'll index it all then! :)

> Which version are you running? Downloading hosts.tar.gz is an artefact &
> should not be needed anymore. Going down to 0 connections was a bug in 0.4.6
> (patch is on the webpage).

Ah, I am indeed running 0.4.6 from the webpage. I didn't notice a patch, I
will look for it. Thanks!

--
Tracy Reed      http://www.ultraviolet.org
"I'd put the Linux phenomenon really as threat No. 1." - Steve Ballmer,