Re: [Help-gnunet] seperate disk quota for migrated content

From: Benjamin Paul Kay
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] seperate disk quota for migrated content
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 16:33:47 -0400

On Monday 06 October 2003 13:28, you wrote:

> > Thanks for the clarification! I just migrated my DB from gdbm, which was
> > very unstable, to mysql, which is tolerably unstable.
>
> Could you elaborate on "unstable"? It works fine for me...
>
> > Thanks to an xfs file
> > system, I can get away with an insanely huge DB without messing with
> > RAID. I will try re-enabling content migration and see what happens. Just
> > to clarify: 1. Indexed files take up about 10% of their size in the
> > database. So a 700MB file will take up roughly 70,000 blocks in the DB.
>
> Right.
>
> > 2. If content migration is enabled, content will be automatically added
> > to the DB until the DB is full. If I then choose to index a file,
> > migrated content will be deleted to make room for the new file.
>
> Right.
>
> > By the way - when gnunetd crashes while indexing, the DB blocks used by
> > the indexed file do not appear to be automatically freed. Will
> > 'gnunet-check -a' reclaim those DB blocks?
>
> No, but you can reclaim them using "gnunet-delete".
>
> Christian

gnu-delete could work, but deleting data takes about as long as inserting it.
some sort of database editing tool would be helpful here!

More to the point, gnunet is slow and unstable when in comes to indexing large
files. Indexing a 700MB file takes about 12 hours and fails 3 out of 4 times,
so a single index can take 48 hours! Using gnunet-delete before indexing
files to make sure there are no duplicate indexes would only make this take
longer. I'm hoping 0.6.0 will remedy this problem. Or maybe this is a problem
unique to my machine - anyone else have trouble indexing large content?

It occured to me that it might be possible to fake the index of a large file
(add it to the bloomfilters but don't actually have gnunet-insert index it)
and then run gnunet-check. Operating on the assumption that gnunet-check is
more stable than gnunetd/gnunet-insert, this would allow me to index large
files effectively at the cost of taking my node offline during the process.
The questions involved here are: 1) is this plausible 2) is gnunet-check
stable 3) how would I go about doing it and 4) will this strategy work in
harmony with content migration

If any one has any other suggestions that don't involve splitting up the large
files, please let me know!