Re: [Help-gnunet] seperate disk quota for migrated content

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] seperate disk quota for migrated content
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 15:43:22 -0500

> > > Thanks for the clarification! I just migrated my DB from gdbm, which
> > > was very unstable, to mysql, which is tolerably unstable.
> >
> > Could you elaborate on "unstable"? It works fine for me...
> >
> > > Thanks to an xfs file
> > > system, I can get away with an insanely huge DB without messing with
> > > RAID. I will try re-enabling content migration and see what happens.
> > > Just to clarify: 1. Indexed files take up about 10% of their size in
> > > the database. So a 700MB file will take up roughly 70,000 blocks in the
> > > DB.
> >
> > Right.
> >
> > > 2. If content migration is enabled, content will be automatically added
> > > to the DB until the DB is full. If I then choose to index a file,
> > > migrated content will be deleted to make room for the new file.
> >
> > Right.
> >
> > > By the way - when gnunetd crashes while indexing, the DB blocks used by
> > > the indexed file do not appear to be automatically freed. Will
> > > 'gnunet-check -a' reclaim those DB blocks?
> >
> > No, but you can reclaim them using "gnunet-delete".
> >
> > Christian
>
> gnu-delete could work, but deleting data takes about as long as inserting
> it. some sort of database editing tool would be helpful here!
>
> More to the point, gnunet is slow and unstable when in comes to indexing
> large files. Indexing a 700MB file takes about 12 hours and fails 3 out of
> 4 times, so a single index can take 48 hours!

It fails!? Could you be a bit more specific about what you mean by 'fails'?
Also, indexing performance largely depends on what type of database you are
using (see benchmarks in the documentation).

>Using gnunet-delete before
> indexing files to make sure there are no duplicate indexes would only make
> this take longer.

You don't have to do gnunet-delete if you want to merely re-do the
gnunet-insert run.  Just run gnunet-insert again, the system will
automatically detect that a block already exists and will not use additional
space. gnunet-delete should only be used if you want to remove the file for
good.

> I'm hoping 0.6.0 will remedy this problem. Or maybe this
> is a problem unique to my machine - anyone else have trouble indexing large
> content?

I didn't have any reports so far, and your problem description is quite
unspecific (other than "slow").

> It occured to me that it might be possible to fake the index of a large
> file (add it to the bloomfilters but don't actually have gnunet-insert
> index it) and then run gnunet-check.

gnunet-check is much slower than gnunet-insert.

> Operating on the assumption that
> gnunet-check is more stable than gnunetd/gnunet-insert, this would allow me
> to index large files effectively at the cost of taking my node offline
> during the process.

I have not seen gnunetd/gnunet-insert crash in a really long time.  Elaborate
on what you mean by unstable.  Also, gnunet-check typically is more
problematic that any of the other tools since it is much more complex.

> The questions involved here are: 1) is this plausible
> 2) is gnunet-check stable 3) how would I go about doing it and 4) will this
> strategy work in harmony with content migration

I would not worry about content migration.  Explain better what you think is
wrong with gnunet-insert (run with higher log-levels, read FAQ on reporting
bugs, give me some output from the console, and we can see what is going
on.).
Oh, and it is typically best if you use CVS when trying to report bugs -- just
to make sure we're not chasing a dead horse.  And CVS has had some bugs fixed
in gnunet-check/convert that are not in 0.6.0.

> If any one has any other suggestions that don't involve splitting up the
> large files, please let me know!

I don't think splitting would help much.  What DB are you using anyway (I
sincerely hope it is not directories... :-)

Christian