Re: [Help-gnunet] GNUnet on ubuntu 7.04 (feisty fawn)

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] GNUnet on ubuntu 7.04 (feisty fawn)
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 17:15:37 -0600

On Monday 18 June 2007 09:06, frodon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to test GNUnet because i'm really interested by this project
> however i have some difficulties to make it works.
> The install of gnunetd and gnunet-gtk went quite well but i have some
> problems with the configuration and googling a little bit i found many
> different instructions and now i'm a bit lost.
>
> I ran "sudo gnunet-setup -d wizard-gtk" and put my user account in the user
> and group field as i supposed it was suitable.
> But i get permission errors each time i run gnunetd (with root rights or
> not) about the daemon not being able to write in the stat module located
> under /var.

That's because even if you run with root, gnunetd will immediately switch
permissions to "gnunet" (as configured).  Try something like

# chown -R gnunet:gnunet /var/lib/GNUnet

(details depending on how you configured things).

> Is there somewhere full instructions for ubuntu about the gnunet
> configuration ?

I don't think so, but certainly you should read README.debian.

> Maybe someone who use as well ubuntu could guide me and tell me what he did
> to configure gnunet.
>
> Then once my configuration issues sorted out i'd like to create and
> maintain a tutorial on the ubuntu wiki because it's difficult to spread
> this project in ubuntuforum without an up to date documentation specific to
> ubuntu.

Good idea.  If you need help, there are these days pretty much always a few
good knowledgable folks on #gnunet on freenode.

Christian