Re: Warning message regarding string length

From: Kenneth R Leach
Subject: Re: Warning message regarding string length
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 10:13:32 -0400

Steve,

Here is a snippet of the code the warning is being generated against. I
have marked the line number, referenced in the warning.

/* Pre-datafile options */
static runtime_option runtime_option_table[] =
{
    {"-help", OPT_EXACT,
        {{OPT_FUNCTION, 0, {(int *)opt_help}}},
        "\t-help (or -h)       | TERMINAL COMMAND OPTION ONLY |\n"
        "\t    Prints a list of available CM command line options.\n"
        "\t \n"
        "\t    WARNING: This option should be used ONLY from a user
terminal.\n"
        "\t    Using this option within M&C or EMU will cause a process\n"
        "\t    failure.\n"
        "\t \n"
        "\t    Note: When the | DEVELOPMENTAL | indicator is listed it\n"
        "\t          indicates that the command line option should only
be\n"
        "\t          used within a Developmental environment and NOT
within\n"
        "\t          an operational environment.  When omitted, the
option\n"
        "\t          can be used in either the Operational or
Developmental\n"
        "\t          environment.  See additional warnings and notes
listed\n"
        "\t          for each option.\n"
        "\t \n"   <-------------- This is line 264.
    },

Thanks.

for such purpose.

                      Stephen Gross

                      <sgross                  To:      Kenneth R
Leach/CIV/CSC@CSC
                      @darwin.epbi.cwr         cc:

                      u.edu>                   Subject: Re: Warning message
regarding string length

                      10/14/2003 09:38

                      AM

> We recently updated our old GNU GCC 2.7.2.3 compiler to GCC 3.3.1.
However,
> we are now seeing the following warning message when compiling our code:
>
> initialize.c:264: warning: string length `681' is greater than the length
> `509'
> ISO C89 compilers are required to support
>
> Is this something we should be concerned about and/or is there an option
> suppress these warnings?

There are a *lot* of changes between 2.7.2.3 and 3.3.1. Can you post a
full code snippet?

--Steve