Re: Boot from an ISO-File?

From: Goh Lip
Subject: Re: Boot from an ISO-File?
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2011 22:12:12 +0800

On 04/01/2011 09:42 PM, Goh Lip wrote:
On 04/01/2011 06:12 AM, Patrick Strasser wrote:
Anyway, do I have a chance to start the isolinux boot process, or GRUB
on the iso image?

If you mean getting to the syslinux menu, no; but you can add the boot
options at the linux line itself. Say if the OS developers add a code
for key to access, then append to the linux line "key=845698" for example.

And what the OP, David was asking (without asking a question) was
finding a way to boot the iso file without burning a cd. So the term
'directly' would apply not only in his case, but also without
'chainloading' another menu.

I might add that some OS makes it much harder to boot from their iso files; take puppy linux for example, it requires the extraction of the .sfs file to be put at the same level of the iso file before the iso file can be booted. And remastersys needs to to have lupin-casper to be installed before remastering otherwise the iso file will not boot up.

Obviously, it would be unfair to blame the grub developers for the unnecessary complexity that the OS developers put in place. Personally, I think it would be just fine if only casper is used.