Re: Boot from an ISO-File?

From: David A. Cobb
Subject: Re: Boot from an ISO-File?
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 22:28:09 -0400

On 03/31/2011 02:19 PM, Goh Lip wrote:
On Friday 01,April,2011 01:32 AM, David A. Cobb wrote:
The object: testing downloaded Linux (Ubuntu 11.04-pre) install media,
avoiding burning more coasters.

David, I've been booting up iso files for quite some time; are you asking if this can be done?

Answer is yes. Just did that on kubuntu natty beta1 moments ago.

Regards - Goh Lip

Sorry I was so unclear. The question should have been "If yes, how?" Generally, googling the question gets a broad variety of answers -- the most frequent involving using a new partition on the HD to either copy ("burn") the iso into, or extract it. Your earlier post, including your menuentry, looks most helpful.

Assuming I am working from the GRUB command line, should I set the root to (loop)? I do see that the Ubuntu LiveCD does contain a /boot/grub/grub.cfg file. Your post shows the key information about how to communicate to the kernel where it is to find its files.

--
David A. Cobb -- computing t-rex