Re: Boot from an ISO-File?

From: Patrick Strasser
Subject: Re: Boot from an ISO-File?
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2011 02:53:02 +0200

schrieb Jordan Uggla on 2011-04-01 22:41:
> On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 10:32 AM, David A. Cobb <address@hidden> wrote:
>> The object: testing downloaded Linux (Ubuntu 11.04-pre) install media,
>> avoiding burning more coasters.
>
> Ubuntu includes a loopback.cfg in their iso images specifically for
> this purpose. By using the loopback.cfg you ensure that the commands
> used have actually be designed and tested (by the Ubuntu developers)
> to work for loop booting:
>
> http://www.supergrubdisk.org/wiki/Loopback.cfg#How_do_you_use_a_loopback.cfg_to_boot_an_iso.3F

The loopback.cfg thing is exactly what I'm looking for. Strange I did
not find it in the Ubuntu docs, it seems it's rather new.

It seems to me that this is not exactly basic use of GRUB2, but I think
it's a very helpful application of loopback and lua in GRUB2. Any chance
to document this feature in GRUB2 manuals? Any plan to
coordinate/document a common mechanism for booting iso images or disk
images?

Patrick
Patrick Strasser <patrick dot strasser at  tugraz dot at>