Re: Non-Linux, non-Unix platforms

From: A. D. Sharpe
Subject: Re: Non-Linux, non-Unix platforms
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2014 04:16:43 -0600

On 8/8/2014 4:03 AM, Andrey Borzenkov wrote:

As I understand, you are concerned about grub-mkconfig. In this case I
apologize for confusion - "easy configuration" was not ported to
Windows - it remains shell code. What was ported, were utilities
required to perform grub bootloader installation. But you would need
to create grub.cfg manually on Windows.
My platform isn't Windows, but it's not really a *nix, either. It's Pyro, a fork from the Syllable codebase. However, I was notified that there was a partial work done to allow Syllable to boot from Grub2, so Pyro should be able to do so, also. Though, none of the utilities of Grub2 were ported to Syllable, so there's still work to be done in that area for Pyro. We're working on a new kernel & we wanted to switch from Grub Legacy to Grub2 at the same time that we switch to the new kernel. I just wanted to make sure that I was fully aware of everything necessary to properly bring up Grub2 on our platform, including a simple way to perform Grub2 installation during the Pyro installation process.