Re: error: disk lvmid/... not found Entering rescue mode...

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: error: disk lvmid/... not found Entering rescue mode...
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 06:38:00 +0300

В Sun, 19 Jul 2015 22:02:14 +0200
Jelle de Jong <address@hidden> пишет:

> On 19/07/15 20:56, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
> > В Sun, 19 Jul 2015 20:51:33 +0200
> > Jelle de Jong <address@hidden> пишет:

> >> I think both systems are BIOS. I included the output of dmidecode -t
> >> bios (I assume that is the way of detecting of the system is UEFI?) of
> >> both systems in this pastebin: http://paste.debian.net/283917/
> >>

> > I'm not sure DMI shows it; but for GRUB to be able to access USB stick
> > BIOS must present it. Check BIOS settings, may be legacy USB need to be
> > explicitly turned on.
> >
> Bit confused, I got the other usb stick (same model) with debian 7.0 and
> grub on it and it boots fine from the ML110G7.
>
> Attempting Boot From USB DriveKey (C:)
> GRUB loading.
> Welcome to GRUB!
> GNU GRUB  version 1.99-27+deb7u2
>
> So if one stick can boot, the BIOS settings must be right then, right?
> (however the usb stick that works is less complicated (no lvm, no mdadm).
>
> I got the other newly created usb sticks with debian 8 and grub and it
> show the grub error and goes to grub resuce, but grub is ON the USB
> stick so the BIOS has to load something from the USB to load grub and
> provides the error.
>
> So I am confused... (maybe i should try making a debootstrap with grub
> with debian 7?)
>
> Attempting Boot From USB DriveKey (C:)
> error: disk
> `lvmid/lO45FX-TeHg-DMv6-VWnZ-GiPg-jlQT-2hQspm/inSndX-umPY-jtUa-xrOD-
> sTLT-PJyY-YoruJR' not found.
> Entering rescue mode...
> grub rescue> ls
> (hd0) (hd0,msdos1) (hd1) (hd1,msdos1)
> grub rescue> insmod lvm
> grub rescue> insmod mdadm

At this point there is nowhere to load modules from. Either they are
present in core.img and loaded already or not.

> error: disk
> `lvmid/lO45FX-TeHg-DMv6-VWnZ-GiPg-jlQT-2hQspm/inSndX-umPY-jtUa-xrOD-
> sTLT-PJyY-YoruJR' not found.
> grub rescue>
>
> Is there something wrong with the mdadm modules in grub?

mdadm? You never said anything about Linux MD yet. GRUB shows two
devices - is it correct? What does "ls -l" in GRUB show?

Please attach USB stick to Linux system, run
https://github.com/arvidjaar/bootinfoscript/raw/master/bootinfoscript
and upload results somewhere; tell which /dev/sdX is your USB stick.