Re: error: disk lvmid/... not found Entering rescue mode...

From: Jordan Uggla
Subject: Re: error: disk lvmid/... not found Entering rescue mode...
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 00:01:33 -0700

On Sun, Jul 19, 2015 at 10:55 AM, Jelle de Jong
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I been hitting a problem that I couldn't figure out.
>
> I was making Debian Jessie installations on USB sticks and booting from
> them with grub on an HP z600 machine and all works fine.
>
> I was making an 1:1 copy of those USB sticks and put them in HP ML110
> station and when trying to boot I get:
>
> http://paste.debian.net/plain/283906
>
> Attempting Boot From USB DriveKey (C:)
> error: disk
> `lvmid/lO45FX-TeHg-DMv6-VWnZ-GiPg-jlQT-2hQspm/inSndX-umPY-jtUa-xrOD-
> sTLT-PJyY-YoruJR' not found.
> Entering rescue mode...
> grub rescue>
>
> Some older usb sticks with Debian booted fine with the HP ML110 servers.
>
> So to be sure I did a fresh debootstrap installation from a chroot on
> the ML110 server and tried booting the, but I get the same grub error. I
> place the USB sticks in an Z600 server and they booted fine.
>
> What is going on and how can I solve this? I want to boot from the USB
> sticks on the ML110 servers, like I do my debian old stable sticks.

My guess is that you have (at some point) run grub-install for [U]EFI,
and then more recently run grub-install for grub-pc, and not only
that, but have done so with an ancient (at least 4 years old) version
of grub which may predate changes made to allow grub-pc and grub-efi
to co-exist. If you have modules in /boot/grub/ rather than
/boot/grub/i386-pc/ and /boot/grub/x86_64-efi/ then that would confirm
that your version of grub doesn't allow two architectures to co-exist
in the same grub directory. This would lead to a USB drive that would
boot properly on BIOS based systems, but would fail to load any
modules when booted via UEFI (because the modules no longer exist),
leaving you with a rescue shell and only the modules that were baked
into the core.img.

I would recommend upgrading your grub utilities to at least grub 2.00
then re-running grub-install (with the appropriate --boot-directory
and --efi-directory options if they are not mounted to /boot/ and
/boot/efi/ respectively) twice. Run grub-install once with
"--target=i386-pc" then again with "--target=x86_64 --removable". Even
if this isn't your exact problem, upgrading to grub 2.00 (or newer)
and re-running grub-install (with the correct arguments / mounted
filesystems) will likely solve your problem.

> What information do you guys need from my side?

The RESULTS.txt produced by boot info script
(http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/ ) would help clarify your
current situation, along with the output of "find /boot/grub/" (or if
this is a LiveUSB rather than a standard installation to USB, "find
/path/to/grub/directory/") from a GNU/Linux terminal, not from the
grub shell. Boot info script is available as a Debian package.

--
Jordan Uggla (Jordan_U on irc.freenode.net)