Re: 'device ...' line in grub.cfg

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: 'device ...' line in grub.cfg
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2016 18:40:58 +0300

On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 5:25 PM, David Kaspar [Dee'Kej]
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Does UEFI part of grub-legacy reads this line (from grub.cfg)?
> -----
> device (hd0) HD(1,123,123abc,01234567-89abcdef-01234567-89abcdef)

grub legacy upstream does not support this. efi support is part of
1.7MB large RedHat patch. It's rather amusing you ask upstream what
this patch does :)

> In other words, is this line necessary for doing a boot on UEFI enabled
> device?

After cursory look at your patch, it assigns device names. So if your
grub.conf (not grub.cfg) relies on specific device names (hd0, hd1
etc) then it is likely necessary.