Re: New Grub2 verses Debian 9.5 -closer

From: jmh6
Subject: Re: New Grub2 verses Debian 9.5 -closer
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2018 15:24:42 -0400 (EDT)

Comments on bottom....

On Thu, 18 Oct 2018, Pascal Hambourg wrote:

Le 18/10/2018 ? 10:30, address@hidden a ?crit :

p.s.- Pascal complains that I am 'top posting' Not sure what that means or how to not do it....

Just write after the quoted part you are repling to.
And remove quotes not needed for context and you are not replying to.

    Just tried  grub-install --force /dev/sdb
      Got warnings
      and a complete without errors message :)

Please take a minute to read carefully the warnings and understand what they imply.

    tried first entry
       *Debian GNU/Linux
             no such device

    tried Debian...9 on /dev/sdd1
       starts to boot Debian
      Alert! /dev/sdd1 does not exist

    falls into Busybox v1.22.1 built in shell

   -----------------------------------

Seems VERY close but correct name for the newly mounted SD seems wrong. I should probably be /dev/sdb1.

Then press "e" at the boot menu to edit the boot entry, replace "sdd1" with "sdb1" and press F10 to boot immediately. Note this is volatile, nothing is written on the device. To fix things permantently you must run update-grub after the system is started.

Thanks Pascal,

   Closer now. I edited *Debian...9 on /dev/sdd1 entry.
    I changed the kernel line to /dev/sdb1.
I missed the comment that I try to boot from there. So first I escaped and tried to boot from there which did not work!

    Then I booted from the edit screen....

    BOOTS normally from what I can tell :).

That said, I found no grub-update command in this version??

    I tried grub-install --force /dev/sdb but with no effect.

    I will now try finding sdd1 in the various /boot/grub stuff.

    Saga continues.