Re: New Grub2 verses Debian 9.5 -boots slow and strange?

From: jmh6
Subject: Re: New Grub2 verses Debian 9.5 -boots slow and strange?
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2018 16:26:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 18 Oct 2018, Pascal Hambourg wrote:

Le 18/10/2018 ? 21:24, address@hidden a ?crit :

On Thu, 18 Oct 2018, Pascal Hambourg wrote:

run update-grub after the system is started.
       ^^^^^^^^^^^
That said, I found no grub-update command in this version??
                        ^^^^^^^^^^^
update-grub, not grub-update.

     I tried grub-install --force /dev/sdb but with no effect.

Of course not. The wrong root= parameter is in /boot/grub/grub.cfg. grub-install does not touches this file.

   Tried install-grub - didn't include Debian 9 in the grub boot menu??

   Started over.

   Booted from grub2 memory stick.

   Debian 9 started OK.

   Ran update-grub2.

   Ran grub-mkconfig.

   Ran update-grub2 again.

   SD now boots :). Nice that it boots. Very strange and slow boot?

Also, there is no need to try to boot anything except this SD since I plug in this SD I want to boot Debian 9.5. I guess I need to edit something? /boot/grub/grub.cfg makes sense, but says not to edit it and it is not obvious what to edit in the files referenced by grub.cfg.

   Thank you so much. I am booting from this SD now.

   John