help-gsasl

Re: GNU SASL 0.2.11

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: GNU SASL 0.2.11
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 16:19:06 +0100

Francis Brosnan Blazquez <address@hidden> writes:

> Currently, we are considering to use your procedure to get the library
> [1] compiled for the windows platform, using the cross-compiling bridge
> provided by the mingw32 packages.
>
> I've followed steps from the release notes, and the library compiles
> fine, but I'm not able to find the dll library and the import library.
> It is only found the gsasl.exe tool.
>
> I've runned objdump to check if the gsasl.exe tool is linked to a
> possible libgsasl.dll file:
>
> /usr/i586-mingw32msvc/bin/objdump -p gsasl.exe  | grep dll
>         Nombre de la DLL: KERNEL32.dll
>         Nombre de la DLL: msvcrt.dll
>         Nombre de la DLL: msvcrt.dll
>
> But I'm afraid that the tool is being compiled statically.
>
> It would be dificult to produce a win32 development package (including
> sasl .dll, import libraries and headers) or it is required to produce
> such release on a windows platform?

Hi Fancis!

I looked into this in more detail, and it seems that a -no-undefined
parameter is needed in lib/src/Makefile.am, as follows, to build the
DLL and import library:

libgsasl_la_LDFLAGS = -version-info $(LT_CURRENT):$(LT_REVISION):$(LT_AGE) \
        -no-undefined -export-symbols-regex '^(gsasl|GSASL).*'

However, it is not clear whether this is entirely correct.  The
documentation for the -no-undefined parameter isn't completely
relevant here:

`-no-undefined'
     Declare that OUTPUT-FILE does not depend on any other libraries.
     Some platforms cannot create shared libraries that depend on other
     libraries (*note Inter-library dependencies::).

So, I would propose that you mimic the gsasl configure.ac/Makefile.am,
but add -no-undefined and then build Vortex using mingw32 and check
whether the generated DLL, import library, *.def files etc work
correctly.

I've asked some questions on the libtool list about this, perhaps we
can resolve this.

As comparison, libidn do specify -no-undefined (it is appropriate for
that library) and the DLL's and import library is built correctly if
you build with mingw32.  You could have a look at that package too,
for some inspiration.

Regards,
Simon