help-liquidwar6

Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Fighter Eyecandy Brainstorm

From: Kasper Hviid
Subject: Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Fighter Eyecandy Brainstorm
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 03:51:28 +0200

Hello again,

 My fighter-showoff ideas has so far only been using different filters to make some upsampled pixels look cool. Another road is to replace the fighters with something else, such as 3D models or triangles.

What I thought of was letting each fighter consist of a small group of pixels with some tiny degree of AI.

(I think the number of pixels attached to each fighter would be fighter-scale*fighter-scale. For instance, if fighter-scale is four, the number of pixels for each fighter would be 4*4 = 16)

The pixels should stay somewhere at the area of their fighter. Orbiting, pulsating, whatever.
If their movement is limited by walls or fighters next to them, they should retract inwards. If completely surrounded, the pixels should be forced together into a solid rectangle.

The AI might be replaced by some easier way to play with pixels. We might also be able to use the Dissolve shader thing.

Below is LW6 at fighter-scale=1 -- It was something similar to this I had imagined. The idea with the pixels and the pixel-AI was to somehow enchange the flowing nature of the fighters movement.

http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/6608/56220200.jpg

The pixels could also have some special effect applied, a slowly dissapearing trail or whatever OpenGL is up to.
Another thing I throught of was letting the fighters have a lighter color when healing. Not much, just barely visible.

 - Kasper