help-liquidwar6

Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Liquid War 0.0.11beta released

From: Christian Mauduit
Subject: Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Liquid War 0.0.11beta released
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 21:18:03 +0200

Hi,

> Displaying a bitmap requires (relatively) little coding. The negative
> part is that bitmaps takes up space, and that it will be english only.
> But it could quickly get the job done, and would even look good!
>
> Another option: Each text element is scripted. So the text "Ny farve
> tilgængelig" is importet from the translation, while the position,
> size and color of the text is defined by the script. This would make
> it possible to create some more advanced text layout while keeping
> stuff multilingual. But of course, this would require programming.
This is exactly what I thought for the keyboard/mouse/joystick binding screen.
The rest is more or less mostly text anyway, boxes can be drawn at run-time.

> A fullscreen info:
> http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/1481/lw6newcolor.jpg
This is the one I prefer. Besides, implementing popups, for various reasons,
seems more work for me at this time (the fact it *replaces* other things makes
it easier).

> Yep, the redirection is good. But it is a little wierd that I have to
> open exp.xml to see my score. Showing levels as teaser sounds like the
> right way to go.
OK, I get it, we need to give the user feedback about his exp.

> BTW, I just played Minecraft, it was updated since last time I played.
> Now it has exp too!
;) The idea ain't new anyway.

The one more thing we could add (but this could wait I guess, and probably
will) is to explain what the level is about before putting the player on it. I
mean, explaining polarity, danger, whatsoever, but just before you enter the
level, a little like you get a tutorial for everything in recent games. I must
admit I recently re-installed lots of oldies on my computer, and if you play
old games, you'll find out that there wasn't all this cushioning for
newcomers, you were thrown in the action and had to get your ... out of it ;)
But well, as of 2011, we need to match the "best practices" around I imagine.

Have a nice day,

Christian.

PS: heard your ambiance files, wasn't fully convinced, maybe it was not enough
"liquid" to me. But I need to give it yet another try.

--
Christian Mauduit - http://www.ufoot.org/                    ___ __/\__
Liquid War 6 - http://www.gnu.org/software/liquidwar6/      / _")\~ \~/