help-liquidwar6

Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Liquid War 0.0.11beta released

From: Christian Mauduit
Subject: Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Liquid War 0.0.11beta released
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2011 18:48:53 +0200

Hi,

On 10/29/2011 05:26 PM, Kasper Hviid wrote:
> Hello again,
> I think I have the level linking ready:
>
> 0 subflower   PLAYER: red ENEMY: blue
> 1 fish                PLAYER: red ENEMY: green
> 2 acadia PLAYER: red ENEMY: yellow
>
> 3 strange-new-world   PLAYER: green ENEMY: 2*yellow
> 4 liquid-dream        PLAYER: green ENEMY: blue+yellow
> 5 playfield   PLAYER: green ENEMY: 2*red      (wrap)
>
> 6 ink-and-oil PLAYER: blue ENEMY: red + yellow
> 7 five-points  PLAYER: blue ENEMY: green + yellow (tunnel)
> 8 nine-points PLAYER: blue ENEMY: red + yellow + blue (tunnel)
>
> 9 pizza-face  PLAYER: yellow ENEMY: red+green+blue (wrap)
> 10 january    PLAYER: yellow ENEMY: red+green+blue
> 11 fishy              PLAYER: yellow ENEMY: cyan-magenta-orange (wrap)
>
> I have also slowed Five Points down. It was simply too fast for me to
> do any tactical thinking.
Cool, I'm gonna test all this.

> Download from either file host:
> http://www.wupload.com/file/1559383941
> http://www.rapidshare.com/files/339269840/map.zip
> https://hotfile.com/dl/133670438/59364e4/map.zip.html
> http://www.megashare.com/3680265
> http://www.mediafire.com/?1gilio17fq00ron
> http://www.badongo.com/file/25847697
> http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ASB69LOB
> http://www.turbobit.net/vni0bymg1ocp.html
> http://www.fileserve.com/file/JzBRcwy
> http://depositfiles.com/files/9d192mi18
> http://www.filesonic.com/file/2818807795
Wow that's a hell of a lot of way to download it! For your information,
the main reason I usually have problems with those is that sometimes
when I'm online I'm behind a firewall that forbids pretty much anything
that looks like a file sharing facility. All of the above are forbidden
for that matter. But I regularly have access to a full connection, and
then can download easily. Ideally I should set up a wiki for us with an
attach-file capability. How does that sound to you? Anyway, 2 or 3 of
the hosts above would be well enough. Thanks for your efforts.

> I will suggest adjusting two values in config.xml
> <int key="team-profile-yellow-aggressive" value="275"/>
> <int key="team-profile-cyan-vulnerable" value="30"/>

> (btw, are you able to change it so 'fast' only affects hov fast the
> pixels move? To me that sounds like an awful amount of math)
OK, I'll raise that to a higher priority level, seems important that you
feel comfortable with this. I don't think it's *that* complicated. I'll
give it a try soon.

> ERROR:
>
> I got this one:
>
> WARNING: Team color index -1 isn't vallid
> (I don't know why -- most likely, I screwed some values up somehow)
I'd bet you got it on the score screen, right? Seems to happen when one
team is dead at the end, for instance you're playing red, green, blue,
and at the end only blue and green are here, then for some reason
program looses track of red team, when it's not yet respawned.

I dunno if there's a bug report about this, I think not.

> MY TO-DO LIST:
>
> [ ] Design background texture for fullscreen messages
> [ ] Make the textures on the wrap-around levels repeat at the edges
This is a good todo list!

> UBUNTU
>
> I just got some Ubundu into an old PC! It automatically found network
> and everything, even that obscure soundcard that Windows 7 couldn't
> find. Nice!
>
> I couldn't install LW6, though. I downloaded the .deb file from here:
> http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/liquidwar6/0.0.11beta/liquidwar6_0.0.11beta-1vendor_i386.deb
> I then used Ubundu Software Center to install the thing.
> I clicked the "start menu" searched for "liquid", clicked the Liquid
> War 6 icon ... nothing happened.
>
> Something went wrong, any suggestions? Ideally, I would like to be
> able to install the snapshots, which seems to be evolving rapidly at
> the moment.
What you can do:

1) try and open the file /home/kasper/.liquidwar6/log.csv (assuming your
user is kasper)

2) launch a terminal (program is "gnome-terminal" or "konsole" or
"xterm" or "rxvt", any of these will do the job. Then type "liquidwar6"
(without the quotes) on the command line, and press enter. What does it say?

3) try and compile it from the source. Basically it amounts to this ->
download the tarball then, for instance, if the downloaded file is in
"Downloads":

cd Downloads
tar xzf liquidwar6-20111029snapshot.tar.gz
cd liquidwar6-20111029snapshot
./configure
make
src/liquidwar6

and next time you want to run the game you "just" need to do

cd Downloads/liquidwar6-20111029snapshot
src/liquidwar6

Keep me informed, as I understand it, saavy GNU/Linux users do not have
much trouble installing LW6 from source today, I regularly receive
bug-reports about errors in the Makefiles and other scripts, but nothing
really catastrophic. However, the ".deb" not working is another story.

And yes, there's development by now ;) I'm really trying to get this
network stuff up. I might release the game in an intermediate state with
just nodes listing and chat, just to check all the low-level stuff work,
then release the full network stuff. Stay tuned.

Have a nice day,

Christian.

--
Christian Mauduit - http://www.ufoot.org/                    ___ __/\__